Thursday, 28 November 2013

NaNoWriMo: The Final Push

So I have today, tomorrow and Saturday to finish my 50,000 words... It's a daunting thought, though at 43,000 words I'm not very far behind. I aim to give it a good blast today, so that I can take the pressure off and get as close as I can to finishing tomorrow.

It's strange, but I feel more nervous that I won't finish as I write more. I suppose it would hurt less to lose the challenge by 20,000 words than to lose it by 2,000; to come so close to achieving something and fail is soul-destroying. Being close to my goal also means I have no excuse for failing - I can't dismiss it as an unrealistic goal, because it's possible to comfortably write 7,000 words in 3 days. I wouldn't have survived my MA without being able to write that amount in a single day, when the occasion demanded!

Yet here I am procrastinating... Maybe it's because I thrive under pressure, so I subconsciously turn up the heat by giving myself less time. Maybe it's because I'm not enturely sure where my novel is going - though that has been true throughout NaNoWriMo. Perhaps I'm just lazy.

Anyhoo, I'm turning to my default strategy to get me through the next couple of days: write crap. It doesn't matter how terrible my work is, as long as I get words on the page. 


4 comments:

  1. What a great achievement, Hayley - if course you can finish those final words! I loved doing it last year but had to give up this one because of all the promotion for my new book plus preparing for a talk I'm doing tomorrow, but I'll probably try again next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Rosemary. I'm a bit closer today - 48.391 words - and feeling more excited than stressed or worried!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you're doing great, and I'm sure you'll finish your manuscript. And I think that participating in Nanowrimo is an achievement in itself. I've never participated, but I admire everyone who does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :-) I did indeed finish and recommend NaNoWriMo

      Delete