Friday, 17 January 2014

Powering Through: It's an Attitude

I love to-do lists. I gain enormous satisfaction from untangling my thoughts and then ticking off items as I get them done. I always have at least one list on the go — in addition to a general one, I sometimes have themed lists too, such as tasks related to writing. I have even been known to keep to-do lists from challenging times in my life as proof of my resilience and efficacy.

But none of this means that I always complete my to-do lists within the intended time!

I'm a terrible procrastinator, but I have learnt some techniques to give myself the push needed to get things done. Today, I am using a particularly effective one: powering through. It involves a lot of determination, which can usually be found if I weigh up a day of focused activity against a week or more of lingering uncompleted tasks, but I'm always surprised by how easy it is once I gain momentum. The only rule is that I must do everything on the list.

It really is that simple!

Kind of. I've learnt ways of making it easier, such as starting early and tackling the easiest and/or quickest tasks first, but powering through requires brute force. It needs a kick-ass attitude that accepts no excuses. If you start the day with the mantra 'I will do it' and keep repeating it, you're more likely to get everything done. It's a classic example of 'fake it until you make it.'

And in case you're wondering, I am powering through today and 'post on blog' is one of the items on my list!

3 comments:

  1. Good for you, Hayley. Powering through sounds like a good mantra for me today as I come to the end of a busy week's writing. There are a few important things I really want to finish before the weekend and that's quite a good motivation in itself. I think you're right about gaining momentum. That's definitely the key. Once you've achieved that and got your shoulder firmly to the wheel, it's much easier. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I need to try that powering through, Hayley - I have a few projects needing finished and maybe this is the way to complete them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your comments. I did manage to do most of what I intended, but was a little over-ambitious... However, I did more than I otherwise would have done, so I'm pleased!

    ReplyDelete