Thursday, 13 February 2014

The Snails' Guide to Writing

Write a word... Ten minutes later, plonk another word next to it...

Guess what my writing week has been like? The silver lining is I've actually done some writing, but let's just say I'm not at my most productive. Everything feels like a great effort and I don't know why. In the rest of my life, this week has been pretty good. I'm not tired or stressed or depressed. My springer spaniel puppy has been distracting, but not to the extent that I can blame him for my lack of progress.

I suppose it's a motivation problem, but I haven't been feeling particularly demotivated. I can't put my finger on what's making me write so slowly. I have a deadline tomorrow to finish rewriting a short story and I will finish in plenty of time, but the changes I've made have been done in such a snail-like fashion that I haven't touched my novel. I've been following all my tips and tricks to beat procrastination (detailed to-do lists, powering through, chocolate as a reward), but to no avail.

I'm hoping my writing speeds up soon, but until then, I'll try to keep plodding along!

4 comments:

  1. It might just be the time of year, Hayley - you probably need a touch of spring to motivate you again! One of the lovely ideas my daughter was trying involved writing down small observations each day. Not too time consuming but it's a creative spur.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! I did notice some snowdrops today, on my way to getting drenched when walking the dogs...

      Delete
  2. My week was all about rewriting, so I felt there was nothing new. Just endless reworking of words I wrote ages ago. And the progress was very slow indeed. I had to keep finding sections that needed altering as a result of changes I was making to earlier chapters. I kept converting scenes to flashbacks and then changing my mind and converting them back. It was frustrating and I wasn't sure how much actual writing I'd done. And next week will be more of the same!

    However, despite the plodding pace and the lack of brand-new material, the important thing is that I have moved further on from where I was the previous week. It may be ponderous and lumbering, but this is sometimes just how the process of writing is. And however few the number of words actually written, we are still writing in our minds, subliminally storing up fantastic ideas for the next project.

    Best of luck with next week's writing, Hayley. The pace will pick itself up again. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanna. I know I should be focusing on progress rather than pace, but it's difficult!

      Delete